Getting engaged is one of the most exciting times in a girl's life. I say "girl" not "guy" because usually the guy knows when its going to happen, but for the girl, it's a surprise. Let the wedding planning begin! We start coordinating and organizing at least a year in advance. Within this year, we are stressed out for many things: location, vendors, guest list, entertainment, food, invitations, etc,. Although a year can pass by so quickly, it is actually a pretty long time. Within this time, many things may change including trend, your style, your preferences and so on. I know that almost every girl who plans their own wedding feels they can plan anyone's wedding thereafter; but when stress is high and our minds are inconsistent, it is truly difficult. This is where Professional Wedding Planners come in to play, to help ease your stress. However, being in the Wedding industry for almost 14 years, I learned a thing or two from my brides and vendors. Here are 10 simple things to do or keep in mind that will make the Wedding planning process a little smoother:
1. Do research on your Vendors. See various works they've done before you chose them. Do not expect them to create something that is not in their style. Every vendor has a look about them, find one that coincides with yours. And TRUST them. You chose them for a reason, so let them do their work. Flowers, food, invitations, photographers, videographers, etc.
2. Do what makes you and your husband-to-be happy. Try not to let the million opinions around you stress or aggravate you. Understand that people want the best for you, it's just a difference in opinion and you ultimately make the decision. Be open minded but logical.
3. Communication is Key. Whether it's with your husband-to-be, your families or your vendors; communication is essential in making sure you are on the same page the entire journey there. It is important that they know, understand and respect your preferences. This includes budgeting.
4. Create a wedding email address. This simple task will make your life so much easier. Emails get lost, communication gets lost. Make sure everything you express to your vendors is in writing. He said she said will not matter when, your flowers don't show up on your wedding.
5. Wedding Dress. This should probably be bullet point number 1! Don't try on 100 dresses. When you find one your heart says YES to, stop looking; you will only confuse yourself further. Wear a dress that screams YOU and hopefully 10/20 years from now, you won't regret. Most importantly, be comfortable!
6. Makeup & Hair. I can speak volumes on this bulletpoint alone. Just like number "1", you must find stylists and artists that are YOUR style. Do not go to someone and ask for something they've never seen before. Chances are, they will struggle with it and so will you. And if you've chosen them, trust them, but it is also important that you communicate your likes and dislikes. Most importantly - please stick to who you are. Do not take risks and try something "new" on your wedding day. Be the BEST version of YOURSELF! Key.
7. Don't do anything you haven't done before. If you've never spray tanned before, don't do it for your wedding. Try in advance and see how you like it first. Don't change your hair color drastically; you don't want to confuse people about your look, you want them to see the best you they've ever seen.
8. Beauty from the inside out. At least the month of your wedding, try getting a lot of sleep, drinking a lot of water, refraining from alcohol, eating healthy and following a good skincare regimen. (I will post skincare advice soon) All of the above will make such a difference on your overall look at your wedding! You will look and feel healthy, have more energy and great skin. And PLEASE do not do any facials within a week of your wedding. Make sure your facials are at least 2 weeks in advance.
9. Plan your day realistically. Always allow spare time in your day. Things will go wrong: your hair stylist/makeup artist may be running behind (very common), your florists may be stuck in traffic, your photographer may want to do your photoshoot at a certain time based on the daylight. So many things may go wrong, but you have to be prepared. If you have scheduled your entire day really tight then you probably need to make some adjustments because this will inevitably create stress on the day of.
10. Enjoy your day! You will not believe how fast the day will go by. After all, it's time to let go and enjoy what you've worked so hard to create. Try to pay attention to everything going on around you and take it all in. In addition, people around you will feed off of your energy, if you're having a good time, they're having a good time! And most importantly, you are getting married to the love of your life! So have fun and make beautiful memories.
Hi, I am Lilit...welcome to my colorful world! I have been a professional makeup artist for 13 years and I am based in Los Angeles, Ca. This is where I blog about all my favorite things, from beauty & fashion to travel & lifestyle. As a beauty educator, I run workshops at my own studio, here in LA. 2015 sees the launch of my own formulation, Elcie Cosmetics. Follow me on my journey...